The Manitoba Centennial Centre Corporation is a key link to arts and culture in Winnipeg through the following buildings and properties of the Centennial Centre:
Centennial Concert Hall
With continental seating for 2305 patrons, Centennial Concert Hall is the performing home of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Manitoba Opera and Royal Winnipeg Ballet. Centennial Concert Hall also hosts a wide variety of local and global artists, dance companies and musicals. centennialconcerthall.com
Manitoba Production Centre
Manitoba’s only furnished sound stage with 15,000 square foot studio, carpentry shop, offices with inclusive internet and phone system, 6 loading docks, make-up, wardrobe, dye room, 8 dressing rooms, and commissary. www.manitobaproductioncentre.ca
In 1965, two acts of provincial legislature incorporated the Museum and Planetarium, which were included in the plans to build a magnificent new Centennial Centre. The Planetarium opened in May of 1968 and the Museum was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on July 15, 1970. In July 1972, a new act joined the Museum and Planetarium as the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature. In December l996, new amendments to the act created an independent foundation, The Manitoba Museum Foundation, Inc., and The Manitoba Museum, an expanded organization, which now included a science gallery. manitobamuseum.ca
John Hirsch Mainstage
Capacity: Total 789; Orchestra (531); Balcony (254); Wheelchair spaces (4)
RMTC’s roots can be traced to the merging of Theatre 77, founded by Tom Hendry and John Hirsch, and Winnipeg Little Theatre in 1958, forming Canada’s first regional theatre. MTC’s first ten seasons were produced at the Dominion Theatre, just off the corner of Portage and Main (now the site of the Richardson Building). In 1968, MTC moved into the Centennial Concert Hall at 555 Main Street, where it spent the 1968/69 and 1969/70 seasons. The present site of MTC at 174 Market Avenue was completed in 1970, and the first production in itsnew home was Bertolt Brecht’s A Man’s a Man, directed by founding Artistic Director John Hirsch. RoyalMTC.ca
Tom Hendry Warehouse
Capacity: Total seats: 286; Floor (282); Wheelchair spaces (4)
RMTC’s second stage has, over the years, changed both location and name. Originally housed in the old Dominion Theatre, it was simply known as the Studio Theatre. Then in 1965, with a new location, it was appropriately called Theatre-Across-The-Street. In 1969, a permanent facility was established at 140 Rupert Avenue and a new name introduced, the MTC Warehouse Theatre. At the 50th Anniversary Homecoming celebration on May 11, 2008, the Warehouse theatre was officially dedicated to MTC co-founder and first general manager, Tom Hendry. RoyalMTC.ca
Artspace (The Gault Building)
For over thirty years, Artspace has been a leader in Manitoba’s arts and cultural community. This building houses artist studios, writing studios, two galleries, a movie theatre, two darkrooms, editing bays, green screens, sound studios, and nearly two dozen arts and cultural organizations working in film, video, book publishing, magazines, visual arts, theatre, music, and photography. Artspace also offers support services for arts organizations across the province. art-space.ca
In the centre of the Manitoba Centennial Centre lies a landscaped sunken garden which runs in-line with James Avenue. Named for Maitland Steinkopf – a former member of the provincial government who oversaw the Centennial Centre’s development – the Steinkopf Gardens is bordered on the south by the Centennial Concert Hall and on the north by the Manitoba Museum. This space originally featured a large pool with sixteen fountains at its west end, above which was suspended an angled stair, connecting the ground level to the sunken garden. This pool was removed during a 2011 renovation by Winnipeg landscape architecture firm Hilderman Thomas Frank Cram. This overhaul also added a ramp at the garden’s east side and sculptural Tyndall stone seating and signage along the Lily Street entrance.
11 Lily Street
Three surface parking lots and an underground parking lot
Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
The WSO is a gem of an orchestra tucked into the geographic centre of North America. Music critic Norman Lebrecht describes it as “an orchestra with a sound all its own,” and that is no surprise. From its debut 1948 performance to over 3,000 audience members, the WSO has become a powerhouse orchestra, regularly surprising guest conductors and artists with the exceptional musicianship and flexibility of its members.
Royal Winnipeg Ballet
Versatility, technical excellence and a captivating style are the trademarks of Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet, qualities that have garnered both critical and audience acclaim. Founded in 1939 by Gweneth Lloyd and Betty Farrally, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet holds the double distinction of being Canada’s premiere ballet company and the longest continuously operating ballet company in North America. In 1953, the Company received its royal title, the first granted under the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.
Manitoba Opera is Manitoba’s only full-time professional opera company and serves a region that also includes northwestern Ontario, Saskatchewan, and the Dakotas. mbopera.ca